A brief history of the Samford Valley.
Records at Queensland State Archives show a lease was
held from 1855 for the land where Samford is today.
The Government began putting up parts of lease land
for sale and selection from 1865.
It was heavy forest land and had no easy access, as the river valley is surrounded by steep ranges. Smaller holdings led to closer settlement, taking advantage of a favourable water supply in many creeks flowing into the South Pine River. The main source of income for the settlers was timber, dairying, bananas, small crops and fruit.
Samford Provisional School was built in 1872 by the farmers, and in 1878 a two-room state school was built by the Government. Near the school, a cemetery reserve under trusteeship of local residents has been used since 1877.
1914 - 1918 World War 1 saw many local lads join the forces. Some returned soldiers were given holdings at the Highlands later named Highvale. Soldier Settlement farms were too small on which to make a living and many left.
Prior to the railway line reaching Samford in 1918, farmers took their cream three times a week to a pick-up point for delivery to Kingston Butter Factory via the Enoggera railway station.
With relocation of the hotel and the small shop and Post Office closer to the railway station in 1918, Samford Village began to evolve. 1926 - 1927 saw more bananas consigned from Samford Railway Station than any other in Queensland. Disaster hit the industry early in the 1930's when the "bunchy - top" virus necessitated a Government order for all plantations to be destroyed.
Electricity came to Samford in 1937 and with the introduction of milking machines, dairy-farmers began increasing their herds. Timber continued to be an industry employing locals.
World War II 1939 - 1945 again saw local lads go to war. As farming was an essential service, many of our men were compelled to stay on their properties. Some American soldier units used the Samford Blacksmith to shoe their horses.
Post-War Samford remained constant, but once the road over the range was reconstructed, the town began to change. Motor transport was becoming more popular, hence the closure of the railway from Ferny Grove to Dayboro in 1955.
Land sales of the farms for housing development began in the 1960's. There are now no dairy farms producing milk in Samford district, the last farm closing in 2001. After 40 years the Samford CSIRO pastoral research farm closed and land was sold in 2002.
Below is a very small sample of photos from the Samford Museum
Click to enlarge photos and see more information
If you are researching Family or Local Early Settlers in the Samford District you can make a personal appointment with our Researcher by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
We are here to help
This is what Main Street Samford looked like in the 1920s.
The Samford Garage has played a major part in the village's history. This photo was taken in the 1930s
Originally purchased new in 1938 by Joe Skerman of Winn Road, Samsonvale, this tractor was owned by several families throughout the area and is now located at the Samford Museum.
29th June 1918. The official opening of the train to Samford. For more information see photo albums and Line to Dayboro files for railway info.
1882 with Teacher's Residence For more information see “Samford State School 1872-1997 125 years” book. Copy in collection & on sale
Students of 1936 List of students available at the museum. For more information see “Samford State School 1872-1997 125 years” book. Copy in collection & on sale
The Mark's slab cottage of Camp Mountain is now Heritage listed. Full story in Volume 1 of Samford Reminisences books.
Mr Thomas of "Hill View" farm Wight's Mountain. Cow Cane was grown to supplement the dairy cow's diet. For more information see “Memories of Hill-View Farm at Wights Mountain” p66 “Samford Reminiscences VOL3”
Cows being milked in the bails at John Scott's "Auchen Eden" Ayrshire stud dairy at Camp Mountain. For more information see “The Richards and Scott Families of Camp Mt” p44 “Samford Reminiscences VOL2”
Harry's tractor at Branch Creek. The flat has now been named Harry Clench Park For more information see “The Richards Property of Branch Creek” and “The Clench Family of Branch Creek” pages 34 & 39 respectively “Samford Reminiscences VOL2”
Herron Farm, Cedar Creek/Closeburn. Dairy cows waiting in the yards for handmilking. Note the slab dairy building and post and rail fencing. For more information see “Bill Herron Remembers” p15 “Samford Reminiscences VOL2”
Beris Oliver from Samford Village milking one of her dairy cows. For more information see “The Oliver Family at Samford” – p52 “Samford Reminiscences VOL2
Sid Davey using a disc plough on the McDowall Road farm c.1930 For more information see “George Davey’s Recollection”, p8 “Samford Reminiscences VOL5”
Russell's Farm of Highvale For more information see Raymond George Russell p81 “Samford Reminiscences VOL5”
For more, see photo albums and Line to Dayboro files for railway info.
Claude and Ralph Patey's father was a soldier settler at the Highvale. For more information see “R H Patey, A Highlands Soldier Settler” p62 “Samford Reminiscences VOL6”
Smith Family Photo. School Transport For more information see “William & Annie Smith” and “Jack & Margaret Lawson & Families” p 37 “Samford Reminiscences VOL2”
Bill Johnson, The Bunya School teacher's children. For more information see “Bunya School 1875 to 1965” by Melva Welch copy in collection & on sale
Workman cutting the hands of bananas from the bunch. Domrow family photo. For more information see “Samford Reminiscences VOL4” (pictorial) for article on banana industry and industry photos; also mentioned in numerous Samford Reminiscences stories.
Mt O'Reilly Road, Samford Valley For more information see “Morrison, Rogers & GIlbey Family” stories p 79 “Samford Reminiscences VOL6” and family files.
Kopps Home at Closeburn 1928. See more in photo album “Homes” at the museum; Family mentioned in “Simpson at Cedar Creek” p61 “Samford Reminiscences VOL5”
Curtis' house and dairy purchased in 1955 by the Mayfield family. Cedar Creek
Jock Burnett of the Highlands (Highvale) had a Service Car for passangers, Highlands to Brisbane, and a truck for cartage. George Hulcombe Junior is standing near the vehicle. See more in “Transport” photo album at the museum.
Andrew Scheldt and the Brown family in the wagon met the Adams family from town, near the Bora Ring at Wight's Mountain about 1925. For more information see “Paynes, Wights & Brown” p31 “Samford Reminiscences VOL1”
See p83 “Samford Reminiscences VOL4” (Pictorial) for a timber article and photos. More timber stories in “Samford Reminiscences VOL5”.
One of H.B. Currell's bread deliver carts. The horses were having a drink during one of the delivery stops. See “Samford Reminiscences VOL6” for Currell stories and mentions in other Samford Reminiscences books.
McMullen's farm. Today's McDowall Road, Yugar. For more information see “Recollection of Leah Parker McMullen” p22 “Samford Reminiscences VOL2”
The flat is now called Harry Clench park, Branch Creek near Clear Mountain. For more information see “The Richards Property of Branch Creek” and “The Clench Family of Branch Creek” pages 34 & 39 respectively “Samford Reminiscences VOL2”